according to my calendar (the one i've carried in my head since childhood) tomorrow marks the first day of fall. the tuesday after labor day is the day i have long recognized as the official end to summer.
though i am putting away my white shoes and my white slacks, it will be a while, if the current temperatures are any indication, before we exchange sandals for boots. back to school and/or the start of the football season, mark the change of the seasons from summer to fall for a lot of people, but not me. when the clock strikes midnight, in just a few minutes, i will declare it to be autumn, 2010, though only the two maltipoos here on the couch with me will hear. (and yes, i think i know how little they care!)
with only 10 minutes remaining of summer 2010, i am going to list the top 10 most remarkable things (at least from my point of view) of this summer. in no particular order:
1. the trip by train i took with four friends/colleagues to a conference in boston.
2. the whale watching excusion we took while in boston.
3. my grandbaby's wild third birthday party.
4. a fantastic visit with relatives from louisiana.
5. having 7 dogs at one time to care for.
6. having my baby home between semesters.
7. all of the projects we completed while school was out and i was between jury terms.
8. Movies: both watching stacks of home movies for the first time in a very long time and going to see a chick flick with my aforementioned baby daughter and my mama.
9. how utterly sad my little kitchen garden has been given numbers 5 and 10.
10. the incredible heat. this was, for sure, one of the hottest summers i can recall.
2 months ago